A secondary Roman road coming from Givry and reuniting the Roman roads Reims-Cologne and Bavay-Trèves, crossed through the area.
In 661, Saint Aldegonde gave the village to the Abbey of Maubeuge, but in 868, the Abbey of Lobbes possessed its financial assets.
The lordship was the property of the Barbençon family, then the family of Senzeilles in the 15th century.
In 1492, it entered into the property of the Lausnoy, then passed to Martigny. The Lady of Rainsars was the owner in 1622 and Claude de Namur sold it in 1644 to Philippe de la Barre.
In 1722, the lordship was established as a county to the benefit of François-Léonard de la Barre. The French and the Austrians went to battle twice on municipal territory; on May 21, 1793 and May 13, 1794, when republican armies were passing through Sambre. The municipality was always agricultural by vocation and in the 18th century, it possessed potteries of stoneware and earthenware.
In the 19th century, the population grew dramatically following the attractive development of the steel industry in the French territory.
Items of interest for tourism and architecture
> <p> <font> <font size="2">La Place du Béguinage et l’église Saint-Georges, ancienne chapelle du château aujourd’hui disparu. Son chœur roman date du 12ème siècle tandis que le clocher et les nefs datent du 18ème siècle.<font>
The Marina, its river stopping place, and the RAVEL bike and foot path.
Some large farms, including the farms of En-Haut (17th century), of Tour (18th century), and of Château with its porch tower (18th century).