A strong ancient human presence is proved by the discovery of 200 skeletons with Roman and Gaul arms, lances, swords, vases, and coins, as well as Franc tombs.
The village belonged to the Abbey of Chièvremont. The Aix-la-Chapelle chapter owned the church in 1867, which it ceded in 1774 to the Abbey of Hautmont in return for an annual fee of 10 silver marks.
Two lordships shared the village: the first one was a possession of the Count of Hainaut (before belonging to the family of Croÿ in 1473), the second belonged to a family that bore the name of the village.
In the 14th century, the lords of Solre-sur-Sambre became the owners with their purchase of the land, first in 1642 and a second time in 1707.
In the 17th century, the village that was shared between the provostships of Beaumont and of Binche knew French identity twice. The provostship of Binche was attached to France from 1668 to 1678 and the Prévôté of Beaumont from 1684 to 1698.
In this village, consecrated to agriculture, there was a ceramics factory that disappeared in 1846, as well as sand quarries operated from the 14th century onward.
Items of interest for agriculture and tourism
The Municipal House is from the 19th century.
The Notre-Dame Church (1620) of Gothic style. The spire of the bell tower is the highest in Hainaut. Here, you can notice the tombstones and emblazoned stones dating back to the 17th and the 18th centuries.