Archeologists discovered Roman substructures of Louis de Débonnaire coins in a Franc cemetery.
In 868, the village was a possession of the Abbey of Lobbes and belonged to the Principality of Liège. Nevertheless, the latter belonging was always contested. The Abbeys of la Thure and of Aulna also possessed assets there. In the thirteenth century, the hamlet of Hantes belonged to Simon de Houtaing. The lordship then passed over to Lalaing in the fifteenth century and to Robaulx in the seventeenth century. As for the village of Wihéries, it belonged to the land of Barbençon for its lordship and to the provostship of Mauberge on a fiscal level. From this fact, the village then passed over to Lalaing in the fifteenth century and to Robaulx in the seventeenth century. As for the village of Wihéries, it belonged to the land of Barbençon for its lordship and to the provostship of Maubeuge on a fiscal level. From this fact, the village passed under French sovereignty from 1678 to 1699 following the Treaty of Nijmegen. The chapel of Wihéries remained a dependence of Solre-Sur-Sambre up until 1803. Hantes and Wihéries were reunited on March 20, 1972. At the start of the nineteenth century, the mineral iron was mined.
The lordship’s castle was burned down on August 24, 1914. It was replaced with a pavillion with the seal of the arms of the Robaulx.
Items of interest for tourism and agriculture
The old Château de Robaulx (1715)
The Saint-Rémi Church (1772), semi-classic, tower from 1621, pulpit from the sixteenth century, Renaissance font; Baroque organ chest (seventeenth centuries); three statues in the round; 2 Saintes-Barbe and 1 Saint-Roch (sixteenth or seventeenth century); numerous tombstones (sixteenth to nineteenth centuries).
The En-Haut Farm, former property of the Abbey of Aulne (eighteenth century).
In the land of water.
The village of a thousand springs…
People have used these phrases to describe this village for a long time. The village was born out of the fusion of the hamlet of Hantes and the village of Wihéries.
Our walking tour leads us first to discover our village and its characteristic walls. We will then go all along the Valley of la Hantes, either on the right side, passing by the Grand-Pré, or on the left side, crossing the Pont d’Arcole and Wihéries. By the plateau overhanging the region, we will join the old byroad again.