In 1093, Gaucher, Bishop of Cambrai, gave the altar to the Abbey of Lobbes.
At the start of the 12th century, Isaac de Barbençon was the Lord of the location.
On April 1st, 1336, Hughes de Barbençon was present during the signature of the treaty concluded between Jean III of Brabant and Louis de Nevers, Count of Flanders.
Catherine de Barbençon married Gilles de Mortagne.
Having plotted against Philippe le Bon, he was arrested in 1433 and quartered on the marketplace at Mons. Following this incident, the Seigneury of Solre was confiscated, then acquired, by Antoine de Croÿ, Lord of Ræulx.

In 1473, Charles de Poitiers became the owner of the Seigneury and the latter fell in 1490 to Claude de Carondelet. It entered into the Mérode family by marriage in 1629.

Solre possessed an abbey, the Abbey of Thure founded in 1244 by Nicolas II of Barbençon and held by the Sisters of the Order of Saint-Augustin.

The locality has always been agricultural by vocation. However, in 1838, rolling mills were set up, but also a metal works, a salt refinery, a marble mill, and two quarries.



Items of interest for tourism and architecture


The Saint-Médard Church, built at the start of the 16th century and heavily modified in the 18th century. It is built in a Hainaut Gothic style and possesses baptismal fonts dating back to 1434.
The Clocher farm, whose porch tower is listed on the historical registry. It is a remarkable specimen of a square farm, built in 1792.

The entrance door, the principal building block, and the ruins of the Abbey of Thure date back to the 17th century. The Saint-Antoine Chapel (15th century) is a hexagonal Gothic edifice, built in limestone. The castle (see below).
Built in limestone, the castle is a former property of the lordship of Barbençon at the end of the 13th to the 15th century. It is located in a formerly swampy plain at the foot of the village and is irrigated by the Thure (small tributary of the Sambre).

This is one of the oldest castles in Hainaut which constitutes, by its exceptional state of conservation, a remarkable witness to the architecture of the castles of the Middle Ages. On each side of the dungeon which has become a porch tower, in the 14th century a surrounding wall was added, flanked by four circular towers. It is surrounded by a moat, fed by the river "La Thure."

Several notable details are visible from the exterior of the castle, taking the path that goes along the pits: machicolation, stone mask, etc…
The stone bridge with two arches, which leads to the entrance of the porch tower, replaces a drawbridge and dates back to the end of the 19th century. The interior of the castle is currently not accessible to the public, but the village is pleasant and a walk around the castle allows visitors to admire its architecture.



Document Actions
« Novembre 2019 »
Ce site est optimisé pour le navigateur Firefox.

Sécurisé, fiable et rapide, Firefox est gratuit et simple à installer.